Frequently Asked Questions
ANTHEM BLUE CROSS CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Whom should I call if I have a question or problem regarding a claim?
The customer service unit at Anthem Blue Cross should be able to address your claims issues and/or questions. They can be reached at 888-209-7847 (PPO & HSA Plans) or 800-227-3641 (HMO Plans).
If you still need assistance with a claims issue after contacting Anthem Blue Cross, please contact Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-480-7923. If you have received an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from Anthem Blue Cross, please have that information available when you call. If Banyan cannot help you resolve the issue, they may refer your case to a Trust representative for further follow up.
- How do I request a new medical plan ID card or print a temporary card?
Login to Anthem Blue Cross, then click on ´request an ID card´ on the Member Services page.
- How do I find out if a doctor, or hospital is a participating provider, or if I want to find a participating provider in my area?
You can use the Search for a Provider feature on the CPA ProtectPlus.com website or, login to Anthem Blue Cross. Then click on Search for a Provider.
- How do I find a participating doctor or hospital when I am traveling outside of California?
You can call Anthem Blue Cross customer service at 888-209-7847 or login to Anthem Blue Cross. Then click on Search for a Provider outside of California.
- Can I access my Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) online?
Yes, you may view your EOBs for the past two years online by accessing member services on the Anthem Blue Cross website. Login to Anthem Blue Cross.
- How do I change my home address with the Group Insurance Trust of the California Society of CPAs?
Please click here to print the change of address form, then complete it and fax it to Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-237-4519.
- How do I add or delete a Dependent?
Please click here to print the Policy Change form and fax the completed form to 877-237-4519.
- How do I add or delete an employee from the plan?
Please fax your written request to Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-237-4519. Please include the employee´s name, the plan(s) from which the employee should be terminated, the reason why and the effective date. Sign, date and include your title.
- How do I add a domestic partner onto my coverage?
Both same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples must complete and return the Policy Change form to Banyan Administrators, LLC. To be eligible, same-sex couples must be registered with the California Secretary of State’s office. However by law, same-sex couples do not need to provide a copy of their registration certificate to add a domestic partner. Fax the completed Policy Change form to Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-237-4519.
- How do I cancel coverage for a domestic partner?
Please complete a Policy Change form and fax it to Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-237-4519.
- Where can I find forms required to administer the CalCPA ProtectPlus Programs?
Most forms can be downloaded from: www.cpaprotectplus.com/main/forms_enrollment.php
- How can I confirm the waiting period (the time period before coverage begins for newly hired employees) of my firm?
This information is in your firm’s original Subscription Agreement. If you do not have a copy, please call Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-480-7923.
- Who should I call to check on the status of a new group application?
Please call Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-480-7923.
- How many health insurance plans may my firm offer next year?
If you are a level two employer or larger (employ at least two employees), there are no limits to the number of plans that you can make available to your employees; however, you can only offer one HMO option. If you plan to change the plans that you will offer to your employees in 2010, please complete and return Section 1 of the Open Enrollment Group Insurance Change Report.
- I’ve recently hired a part-time employee, what CalCPA insurance plans may I offer to this employee?
That depends on the number of hours that your part-time employee is scheduled to work. Each year at Open Enrollment, and when you first set up your CalCPA Insurance plans, you determine the minimum number of hours an employee must work to be eligible for CalCPA ProtectPlus plans. You can set this level at 20 or 30 hours for the medical, dental and vision plans. For life and disability plans, the hour requirement is 30 hours.
- Are there separate insurance cards for each of the following programs – Medical, Rx, Dental, Vision?
Members will receive separate ID cards for the following programs:
- Medical & Rx (one card for both medical & Rx)
- There are no ID cards for vision, life or disability.
For those with vision plans, when scheduling appointments with a VSP doctor, give them the covered member’s ID and they will take care of the rest.
- Where should I send my group’s insurance premium payments?
Payments for medical, dental, vision, group life and group long-term disability plans should be sent to:
CalCPA Group Insurance Trust
P.O. Box 512516
Los Angeles, CA 90051-0516
- I submitted a Subscriber Change form/Enrollment Change form to add/term an employee, why is the change not reflected on my invoice?
If the change form was received after the current invoice was produced, the change will be reflected on the next invoice.
- How do I enroll for automated bank withdrawals (ACH payments) to pay for my monthly premiums? How quickly can this automatic debit process be established?
To set-up automatic payments via ACH, you must complete the Automatic Payment Authorization form which is available on the ProtectPlus website. It takes 2 billing cycles for the process to be established. You will receive a letter from the BanyanAdministrators service center to confirm when your automatic withdrawals will be effective.
- When are payments automatically debited from my bank account, if I elect to pay via automatic bank withdrawals?
Payments are generally debited on or about the first business day of the month.
- When are my monthly payments due?
Payments are due on the first of the insurance coverage month. Banyan will create and mail your invoice about two to three weeks prior to the due date (around the 15th of the month prior to the coverage month).
- When do my group’s rates adjust due to an employee’s age change (putting him/her into a new age bracket?
The rates are updated on the first of the month following the employee’s date of birth.
MEMBER FIRM CHANGES
- 1. What happens if my firm splits up?
If your firm is splitting up, those CPAs who are covered under the ProtectPlus plans and are starting new firms, can carry their coverage with them to their new firm. The new firm(s) will need to complete a new subscription agreement. Please call Banyan Administrators, LLC for instructions at 877-480-7923.
- What happens if my firm merges with another firm?
Several options are available. Please call Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-480-7923 to determine the best option for your firm.
GROUP LIFE AND DISABILITY
- How do I report salary changes for my employees that participate in the group life or group long-term disability plans?
Please print a Salary Update form and fax it to Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-237-4519.
- Who should I call if I have questions regarding COBRA or CalCOBRA?
Whether or not you are eligible for COBRA or CalCOBRA depends on several factors. Please contact Infinisource at 800-594-6957 (Participant) or 866-320-3040 (Employers) for information specific to your coverage.
MEDICARE AND RETIREMENT
- What happens when I become eligible for Medicare?
Approximately 3 months before your 65th birthday you will receive a letter from Banyan Administrators, LLC outlining your options. ProtectPlus is not a Medicare supplement and in most cases we do not recommend maintaining your ProtectPlus coverage once you are eligible for Medicare. However, factors that may affect your decision include: the size of your firm, whether or not you have a younger spouse and/or dependent children and when you plan to retire. You may contact Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-480-7923 to discuss your options.
- What should I know if I’m planning to retire soon?
Our group plans require that you work a minimum of 20 hours per week in order to maintain your coverage. If you plan to retire before your 65th birthday (Medicare eligible age) you will not be eligible for coverage. You may be eligible for COBRA and/or CalCOBRA coverage depending on the size of your firm. Please contact Banyan Administrators, LLC at 877-480-7923 to discuss your options.
- Who should I contact if I have a comment or question regarding Trust administrative policies?
Please email the Trust´s Executive Director Susan Young at email@example.com.
- Who should I contact if I want to refer a colleague’s firm to CPA ProtectPlus?
Please call or email ProtectPlus Sales Manager Tom Kowalski 650-802-2406 (Tom.Kowalski@calcpa.org).
- Who should I contact if I have a suggestion for improving the ProtectPlus program?
Please email Trust Executive Director Susan Young at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who should I contact regarding this website:
Email Judy Graziani at Judith.email@example.com.
- How do I become a member of CalCPA?
Visit www.calcpa.org and click on Join.
- What are the advantages to participating in the CalCPA program?
The key advantages to participating in the CalCPA programs include:
- Insurance programs designed specifically by and for CPAs
- Professionally managed program with a commitment to delivering outstanding service
- Multiple plan options available to groups of all sizes
- Exceptional claims experience
- Competitive rates
- Superior service
- Open formulary - prescription drugs (does not apply to HMO plans)
- Benefits available only to ProtectPlus members:
- Rights of Survivorship
- Lower unit requirements for F/T student status